Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

5. Early Lessons

Stairs to All Floors
Photographed in 2014






















These are the stairs that led to almost 10,000 lessons during my time at EGS. There were two staircases, one at each end of the school's central block, and four lifts, two at each end. We seldom took the lifts because the crowds and queues made them slower. We preferred the rush upstairs, the dash through corridors and the orderly line at the classroom door. 

Once, when pupils complained that the distances between classrooms made them late for lessons, Mrs Betts conducted her own research. She discovered that four minutes would be sufficient to complete the journey between the most distant places. This was somehow accepted as demonstrating that no one need be late. But the total time pupils spent on the stairs between lessons, breaks and lunch times must have been very great, nevertheless. Sometimes the traffic would be congested and pupils might be unruly. There were prefects on every landing to control the flow. 

This congested stairs experience taught many of us a life-long habit of rushing upstairs, even in our own homes. I still take two steps at a time up the central, not-moving staircase at tube stations, impatient with crowds and determined to be first to the top. I still take stairs rather than lifts, even when carrying suitcases, and my breathlessness reminds me of my youth when I began each day in the sixth form with a mountaineer's ascent to the top floor. 


Tannoy photographed in 2014
Our movements between lessons were regulated by bleeps on the tannoy system (left), made famous by Clockwise. This film  (written by Michael Frayn, a Blackheath resident at the time) featured a manic headmaster, played by John Cleese, who  controlled his EGS-lookalike school by barking commands into a microphone. Immediate obedience was expected. 

I mainly remember particular teachers and moments, rather than actual lessons, perhaps because of their emotional content (fear, laughter, anxiety) or larger than life characteristics.  My memories now resemble photographs left in the sun, with many areas faded and indistinct. After all, it is 57 years since those early lessons at Eltham Green.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Bernard, did you used to play the oboe in the orchestra?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernard,

    I don't know whether you remember me, Devendra Agrawal also known as Aggy. I used to be in the same year as you.

    Keep in touch, my e-mail address is aggynet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blogg
    I so remember all that is said here
    Now 72 and do so remember that I being disadvantaged by poor academics due to an undiagnosed eye problem that set me right back at primary school was able to shine in a few subjects because of this comprehensive system
    Mr Shimmins was the the man that hated me also Mr Pembleton
    But Mr Jones Music and form teacher and My art teacher really helped me a lot
    Great stuff
    I love all this nostalgia

    Ray (Robert) Henderson (H House Mr. White The house leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on an excellent document which I very much enjoyed reading.
    You certainly stirred many memories from my years at Eltham Green.
    You and I went to the same primary school together and both transitioned to Eltham Green at the same time. I used to live in the prefabs off of the Rochester Way between the Dover Patrol and Eltham Green Road.
    I still keep in touch with a couple of ex pupils who like me were in the same year as you, Tony Ham who I am meeting tomorrow and Mike Parr who I see a few times a year.
    Excellent work indeed on your part and best regards to you.
    Dave Collings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this comprehensive report on Eltham Green School. I went to the school when it opened in 1956. I was already 15 going on 16 and was placed in 5A5. I was also in Endeavour House with Mr Buckley, my surname being Baker. My experience at Eltham Green was rather daunting, having recently arrived from Jamaica - making history as the first black girl at Eltham Green. After a shaky educational start I went on to become a Principal Educational Psychologist! Again thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone have any pictures of year groups my last year being 69/70 Head was B.Dawson at that time my Art master was Jim Riddock I attended St Martins Art School .any pics would be very welcome please feel free to contact me via timlandbanking@gmail.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Riddock, fantastic art teacher and top bloke.

      Delete
  7. I am afraid I don't remember the talk about the access to the class rooms via the stairways as I was a lazy bastard who was determined to use the lifts every time even if was late going to the classes. Greetings to you Bernard and everyone who remembers me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrived in 57, remember a few names Aggy rings bells and Rowland Williams. Best teachers were Mr Fyffe History,Mr Fyffer science, Miss Jones French. I was in B3 stream and S House. Great memories brilliant blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also arrived in 57
    Lived in Lee (Woodyates Rd)
    Mixed feelings about school
    Great teachers Mr Jones Music room 51
    Miss Jackson (best looking teacher I ever saw
    Mr Cain head of PE Not too bad
    Mr Shimins (PE nasty old git)
    He hated me one day he told me to throw the javelin he was standing in front of me I told him to move on case I hit him with it
    He said throw it boy you must be thick if you think you can throw it that far
    What happened it whizzed past his ear nearly killed the B****ed
    I got in the school team after that Hi Hi
    Mr Pembulton or similar name (english maths another nasty old git)
    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Bernard, I'm working on a documentary film and we're searching for photos of Eltham Green school. I wonder if you have access to any photos?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was there 63-68. Art with Richard Box ( who I'm still in touch with) and Jim Riddock. English with Derek Topless. Theirs was the only lessons I attended from 1966 onwards, I skipped all the others and did extra Art. Done me some good. Check out instagram alankinguk and kingartuk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your webpage is very informative and heart warming. I was there from 82 until 87.
    I would like to share a link from the Eltam Green Facebook Page, can you confirm this is you (on the right)?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2114616948605761&set=g.17203896645

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry but I haver met you. My name is Devendra Agrawal,nick named AGGY

    ReplyDelete