Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

1. The Death of Eltham Green



Eltham Green 1956


This is the Eltham Green that I remember, a shining example of the prototype London comprehensive schools that aimed to change the world. Opened by Lord Hunt (the conqueror of Mount Everest) in 1956, the building embodied the ambition of London County Council's (LCC) planners and architects. They envisaged a first class democratic and egalitarian education for everyone, regardless of ability, gender, creed and ethnicity. The school represented a fundamental break with a past where young people were discarded at age 11. It was modern, futuristic and exciting. From the very beginning, I loved it.

But the LCC was murdered long ago, and now the schools it built
are being destroyed, with ruthless contempt for the past. There has been little fuss in the newspapers and no noisy campaign to save comprehensive education or the handsome buildings that once expressed the post-war dream of a more equal Britain. 

Sir John Betjeman fought for Victorian Gothic, St. Pancras Station and the Euston Arch but no contemporary writer, poet or artist has launched a crusade to save the soaring modernist towers of the comprehensive era. This may be due to the careful management of the destructive process.

Imagine you did not know that Eltham Green has gone, expunged from the south London horizon forever. Suppose you returned from life somewhere else, Australia perhaps, and strolled down Eltham Hill. When would you realize that Eltham Green has disappeared?

Right now, you wouldn't really be able to tell until you reached the gate. Your eye scans for Eltham Green School and you get this instead. A 'Welcome' mural mounted on steel bars that introduces you to the strange powers that have taken charge of the site and building.


Next year (2015), the truth will dawn as you descend the hill from Eltham. Where's it gone? You won't find the old place, hunt as you will.

The bulldozers are booked, the demolition is arranged and soon the school will cease to exist in this world. You may sense the chill air of ghosts and shadows, haunting, hair-tingling reminders of your youth and of the people you knew here. But there will be nothing tangible left behind.

Even now, the Eltham Green name or crest is hard to spot. I discovered 'Eltham Green School' on the Lift B service plate, apparently left by the new masters for fear of the electrical dangers that lurk beneath.

The famous oak tree emblem, from which all the little acorns were supposed to grow, has also survived in a single unexpected spot. There, top left in a health and safety notice, is the instantly recognisable symbol of a very great school.

For Harris, the well-known carpet brand, the very words 'Eltham Green School' are toxic. The name, the crest, the building and the history must be eliminated. There must be nothing to link the magic carpet that is Harris with this predecessor school. EGS's recent struggles against loaded dice have become a source of shame, a story to be lost as soon as possible.

A fine example of public architecture must be demolished. The memories of former students must be buried in dust and broken masonry. We must forget the LCC and deny the ambition and achievements of the post-war period.


Assembly Hall Interior photographed in 2014
I lack the networks to mount a successful campaign to have the Assembly Hall preserved, listed and admired. I'd love to rescue the comprehensive experience, to save the school that inspired my life. I still hear the orchestras and choirs, still remember the words of my teachers, still love the vision of education the school embodies. But I'm not that kind of campaigner.

Instead, this blog records my impressions and memories of Eltham Green School. I travel on one last journey to EGS and report my thoughts, past and present. I draw on the images that are available to me (with apologies if the copyright is yours, not mine - let me know and I'll put it right) and remember as best I can the people, scenes and events that happened around me.


Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future) in The Eagle comic
captured the spirit of modernity
This is memory work about EGS, therefore, not fragments of autobiography. Your stories and lessons are different from mine but are every bit as important. None of us is a typical student though we have shared a common experience of uncommon power. We were part of a Brave New World, part of the space age, part of the Festival of Britain, and as part of the comprehensive experiment, we were the first properly educated generation in English History.

Memory and history are important for their intrinsic interest and significance but also because they contribute to an inevitable struggle for life and meaning between social groups. Our EGS experiences are woven into our identity and we have to remember them to sustain our distinctive voice against the siren calls of carpet salesmen and their allies at Westminster who claim the past was a failure.

10 comments:

  1. Went 63-68 - Great memories and a great loss. Alan King www.kingart.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a pupil from 58/63. An amazing school that gave equal chances to everyone whatever their academic abilities were. Saddened by its demise and the ethos it stood for. RIP. Derry Dinkin (nee Green).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow its a nice post. Thanks for sharing this type of Freelancing tips.
    I already bookmarking your site. You can also visit my
    Huawei Phone Repairing in South East London

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sadness, not only for the loss of a fine building, but the part it played for thousands of young people, in the vision of a future, more equal society.

    Its demolition mirrors a fundamental shift in national outlook and society's values, with today's ever-widening inequalities between the 'haves' and 'have-nots'.

    But, despite these regrets, your memories are safe - buried in time where no-one can touch them. Perhaps it's better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes so sad. I was there from 1965. I returned to do a teaching placement (PGCE)as a mature student from the Institute of Education in my 40s.It had lost a lot of it's original sparkle and had a very reduced pupil intake from my days when there were over 2000 kids. I often tell people about the ice skating and horse riding lessons I did with the school. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there for 2 years before immigrating to Canada. Now in Ethiopia. Can't forget my country and Queen. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know Judy Rendle who attended Eltham Green in 1956 and left in 1957 to train as a nurse? I would love to meet up with her again. I was Shirley Baker at the time, a black pupil from Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Eltham Green school in 1971-76 I remember the lift that could take you up to all floors although we were not allowed to use them. The art studios were on the top floor it was amazing. There was a anex at the main entrance which had a built in pond with actual large gold fishes in it,it was an amazing school for its time the grounds were the largest I've ever seen the 21 bus would bring up Eltham hill to the top I'd walk in and down to the main entrance it felt like the longest walk ever..good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a student from 2003-2008. Let me tell you, the school was falling into disrepair. Riddled with asbestos. We were one of the last cohorts to go to the school and our education suffered due to the state of that building. Should of been knocked down sooner. Back in your day was probably a perfectly good school but the writing was on the wall there well before I attended. I have found memories of friends and the little tree symbol was a nice memory. But good driddance best thing they did was knock thay school down. Wish they did it before I got there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was also at Eltham Green School at the same time as you my name is Devendra Agrawal also known as AGGY.

    ReplyDelete